/ Filed under: 2 Comments »everything
The last few months have been largely uneventful.
- Beginning of June I broke my left ankle in three places, when I slipped on someones slipped drink at a friend’s birthday party.
- I have spent the summer months at home, due to the broken ankle, following the American Presidential election primaries, first supporting Hilary Clinton and now Barack Obama.
- Russia and Georgia have been at war. There is widespread discord as to who attacked whom and what caused the whole pandemonium. Russia said it intervened in South Ossetia and another Georgian breakaway region because Georgia had attacked there resident Russian Nationals, while many other nations have condemned the Russian activities. Both sides have bombed the place back to the stone-age. Civilans were once again the ones suffering the most.
- Meanwhile the Olympic Games took place in China, mainly in Beijing. I have followed many of the games, watched the opening and closing ceremony and was very impressed. The next Olympic Games in London in 2012 will have very high expectations to meet. In the words of London’s Mayor Boris: Ping Pong is coming home.
- I have in the last few weeks begun to walk again and I am getting better, so things are definitely looking up.
- On the same day I booked a flight to Spain a plane crashed in Madrid, killing most of the passengers. It is safe to fly, repeat, it is safe to fly, it is safe to fly, it is safe to fly…
- General Musharraf (no longer a General) resigned as President of Pakistan, causing a political vacuum that several dubious figures are furiously trying to fill.
- Just in the last few days Russia officially recognised Abkhazia and South Ossetia as sovereign, leading to condemnation of the seven other G8 countries. Recently the news have been filled with Cold-War like rhetoric. Strong are the words coming from NATO, particularly from the US and Great Britain. However, they appear futile as Russia does not seem to be in the mood to listen.
- UPDATE: I am now also twittering, as Hugh pointed out in the comments.